You may have seen it on Seinfeld. And he owns the real thing. This is a very rare poster unavailable anywhere but here on eBay. It features a Porsche Carrera GT which were produced 2004-2006. The poster is much more affordable than the original MSRP of $440,000 USD.Production topped out at approximately 1250 units, with only 340 of these cars sold in the U.S. Famous owners include Jay Leno, Jerry Seinfeld, Tiger Woods, Ralph Lauren, and Thierry Henry.
Porsche began developing the Carrera GT in 1999 as a successor to the 911 GT1 car they had discontinued in late 1998. In addition, Porsche needed to free up capital and manpower for development work on the Cayenne, and dropping development of the race car made this possible.
Porsche did however produce one car, and showed it at the 2000 Geneva Motor Show to draw attention to their display. Due to the intense interest in the car, and cash now flowing in from the Cayenne, a decision was made to produce a limited number of road-legal cars in Leipzig. Porsche started a production run of Carrera GTs in 2004, shipping the units with an MSRP of $440,000 USD and a dealer invoice price of approximately $414,800 USD. In addition, the delivery charge could be as much as $15,000 USD. The first Carrera GT went on sale in the US in Jan 2004.
At first, a production run of 1,500 cars was scheduled. But Porsche announced in August, 2005 that it would not continue production of the Carrera GT throughout 2006. According to Porsche, this was because of changing airbag rules in the U.S. But word on the street was that the dealers simply couldn't move the cars, and many reportedly sold GTs for below MSRP. Even though production ended early, sales of the Carrera GT were a huge success, with worldwide sales volumes surpassing the combined totals of Ferrari's Enzo Ferrari, Mercedes' SLR McLaren, and Pagani's Zonda models.
As of May 6, 2006, 1,270 GT's had been sold, with 604 being sold in the United States.
Some Famous Carrera GT Owners:
- Jay Leno - Television Comedian / Entertainer
- Ralph Lauren - Fashion Designer
- Robbie Williams - Singer / Songwriter / Entertainer
- Jerry Seinfeld - Comedian / Actor
- Tiger Woods - Professional American Golfer
- Thierry Henry - Professional French soccer player of French team and Arsenal F.C.
- Michael Higgs - Comedian
- Dr. Hitesh Bodani - Chairman, Matrix Holdings, Dubai
- Thomas Muster - Former World No. 1 tennis player, Austria
- Mohammed Ben Sulayem - Famous Arab rally car champion and car collector, from Dubai, U.A.E.
- Tim Allen - Entertainer / Comedian
- Niki Lauda - Former Formula 1 driver and World Champion
- Ken Goins - Profesional Lacrosse Player
I've added a Seinfeld clip below so you can see the poster people keep asking about.